“ENJOY THE SPIRIT OF RAJASTHANI BAZAARS”
Rajasthan is among the richest states of India. The kings and nobles were patrons of hart and crafts and encouraged the craft persons. There was an obsessive desire to decorate their surroundings. Right from the walls of the forts and palaces, to the walls of the rural villagers, the desire to add color prevailed. Warriors, not only gave elaborate attention to their clothing and amours, but also ensured that the horses and elephants that carried them into the battleground where equally decorated. Ornaments like jeweled saddles and intricate silver howdas were proudly displayed .the women of Rajasthan are famed for there beauty and it is said that the printed patterns on the women’s skirts are different in village even 30 Kms apart.
Things to buy while shopping in Rajasthan include:
- Tie-and-Dye and block Printed Textiles
- Leather Jutis (footwear) and other Crafts
- Jaipuri Razai
- Gems and Stones
- Blue Pottery
THE FAMOUS JEWELS OF RAJASTHAN
Plan a holiday trip to the gem capital of Rajasthan, the Pink City of Jaipur. Being one of the most famous shopping destination in Rajasthan one can get everything from precious to semi-precious, and gems for ornaments and some others of astrological significance. Get your ‘someone’ special one of those special rings with gems and exquisite gold carvings.
GET A BLUE IN THE PINK CITY
Take up shopping tours of Rajasthan and see the art of glazed blue pottery which came to India from Persia, is a flourishing craft even today in Jaipur. During your holiday vacations in Rajasthan, get one of those alluring blue potteries decorated with floral and geometric patterns for interior decoration of your sweet home or to gift your loved ones.
FLY ON A MAGIC CARPET
Rajasthan’s carpets are superb in craftsmanship and annex a large export market,are a great shopping delight in Rajasthan. Plan a holiday vacation in Rajasthan, and you will have the chance of buying one or more, of those exquisite carpets in traditional and contemporary designs.
FINE FABRICS SINCE YORE
Famous shopping items in Rajasthan are Hand block prints, tie and dye embroidered textiles with mirrorwork, is the typical stamp of Rajasthan. Visit the terrains of Jodhpur and Udaipur, and get yourself some light and finely printed Kota Doria sarees, a rage with Rajasthani women in the hot summer seasons.
WHERE TO SHOP:
Each city in Rajasthan has something or the other which you would not be able to resist buying. Following are some of them:
- The capital city, also known as the Pink City, is shopper’s heaven. When in Jaipur look out for precious and semi-precious stones, famous textiles like Bandhani (tie die) Jaipuri jooties (traditional, pointy shoes), trinkets and perfumes. You can also find block print, blue pottery, carpets and antiques here.
- The Golden City-as it is known, is famous for decorative wooden boxes, stunning embroidery, bedspreads, mirror work and hangings, oil lamps, stonework, antiques. Jaisalmer is also famous for Khadi (Homespun Cloth) out of which carpets, shawls and other woven garments are made.
- It is a very well known city and is visited by many Indian and foreign tourists every year. The city is known for local crafts, different kinds of jewellery, textiles of block printing, handloom, brass utensils, engraved woodcraft and embroidered bags among a variety of other beautiful items.
- Jodhpur-The Blue City of India, which is the second largest city in the state of Rajasthan, known for its skilled craftspeople. Jodhpur is a shopper’s delight where you can buy ethnic clothing, decorative furniture, spices, traditional footwear, beads, mirror work cloth.
- Also known as the Lake City, is famous for local crafts, especially miniature paintings in the Rajput-Mughal style. Shops along the Lake Palace Road and Jagdish Temple sell textiles, silver jewellery, wooden sculptures, leather bound books and handmade paper.
- Famous for its annual cattle fair, Pushkar is also a shopper’s heaven. Sadar Bazaar is a good place to shop where you’ll find silver, costume jewellery, glass lamps, embroidery and wall hangings.